Monday, August 15, 2011

Independence Day of India

Freedom is about buying that tri-color flag/badge/pinwheel/sticker for 15th August and chucking it unceremoniously couple of days later.Now, there is one man, who fought for the country decades ago….

And still is….but not against the British,nor the Chinese,or the Pakistanis.It’s about the greater evil : CORRUPTIOn.Can we see India FREE from corruption.

THIS is the age of the remakes because what the filmmakers lack these days is imagination. we do not want to insult the filmmakers of yesterday by suggesting that someone should make a remake. Saira Banu wanted me to remake my own Purab Aur Paschim but I refused. A corporate house wanted me to remake my Roti Kapda aur Makaan. I said no, because I am not stagnant. I’d rather go ahead and make my new film Kahani Mein Kahani instead of going in for a remake.

My favourite patriotic film till date has been the vintage Sohrab Modi-starrer Pukar and the song I cherish is "Aye mere pyare watan aye mere bichchde chaman tujh pe dil qurban" from Kabuliwala.I do not feel that we have the right to remix any evergreen patriotic number.

In these times of remixes, patriotic songs should never be tweaked, especially classics like "Mere desh ki dharti" from Upkar, "Mera rang de basanti chola" from Shaheed, or "Yahan daal daal par sone ki chidiya karti hai basera" from Sikander-e- Azam.

The graphic utilizes the famous image of U.S. Marines at Iwo Jima, but with the Indian flag superimposed over the American flag. The image was used by organizers online, on flyers and as part of an invitation whose recipients included Mayor Antonia Ricigliano.

When Salman (a participant) sang Maa Tujhe Salaam…, Anna said, “Hearing this song I wish to go on a fast for 20 days rather than just 16 days as earlier, as songs like these give me strength to carry on the fight.”

In fact after one of the kids’ performance, Anna went on the stage and broke into an impromptu jig leaving everyone pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment