Thursday, August 18, 2011

durian ,there are 100 plus clones in malaysia

There are more than 100 durian clones in Malaysia. A majority of them are local species. These clones are different in terms of tree morphology, flowering season, fruiting ability, fruit quality, immunity towards disease or pest and other agronomic characteristics.
Able to bear fruits faster (5-6 years after planting), consistent and plentiful fruiting.
The durian (pronounced  is the fruit of several tree species belonging to the genus Durio and the Malvaceae family (although some taxonomists place Durio in a distinct family, Durionaceae. Widely known and revered in southeast Asia as the "king of fruits", the durian is distinctive for its large size, unique odour, and formidable thorn-covered husk.

I was taught to eat durian by my father at the age of 4. Peeping into the kitchen late one evening, I saw my parents crouched on the floor over a makseshift carpet of newspapers, energetically ripping the husks of a stinky green fruit apart. I was more amazed with the enthusiasm of my parents towards their activity than the fruit itself. My father happened to look up and saw me watching quietly from the kitchen door,

And if you like it, you probably love it, and if not you probably hate it, even in cookie form. I myself have tried in vain to think of ways to use it as a secret ingredient. It’s just too unwieldy. (For the record, I have tried to like durian- I want to like it because I know it must be really special once you know its secret. I have tried five times with no success- I can barely get the smallest amount down.)

Well, durians have a strong smell and a unique taste. Could be that those who haven't seen others indulging in durians have doubts as to the fruit's fitness for human consumption. Judging by the fruit's smell, its flesh moves straight from unripe to rotten.

The ecstasy one feels while biting into the sweet and delicious yellow flesh of durian is something 'out of this world'. This culture of feasting on durians is now fast spreading to the city too.

There have been many attempts to make the taste of durian more palatable or to dilute it. Companies have, among other attempts, made it into chewy candy, flavored ice cream with it, made it into puddings, and put it into durian cream cookie wafers to present it to an audience wider than its diehard fans But the fact remains that you either like durian or you don’t, no matter where you come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment