Saturday, June 25, 2011

queen victoria




In 1837 Queen Victoria took the throne after the death of her uncle William IV. Due to her
secluded childhood, she displayed a personality marked by strong prejudices and a willful stubbornness.

This is the first nonfiction title I’ve read from Project Gutenberg,

I have to say—the other one on my list is The Golden Bough, which I’m quite looking forward to.

(Although Joseph Campbell just swiped at it in the portion of The Hero With a Thousand Faces
I’m reading. But he’s really androcentric, so he can bite me.

Barely eighteen, she refused any further influence from her domineering mother and ruled in her own stead.



Popular respect for the Crown was at a low point at her coronation, but the modest and

straightforward young Queen won the hearts of her subjects.


Lord Melbourne was Prime Minister when Victoria became queen.

 Melbourne was fifty-eight and a widower.

Melbourne's only child had died and he treated Victoria like his daughter. Victoria grew
very fond of Melbourne and became very dependent on him for political advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment